Friday, September 19, 2008

Arachnophobe? Apparently.

 http://bugguide.net/node/view/12943


A few days ago I decided to venture out into our tiny backyard to . . . pick up . . . after my dog.  It is my household duty, which I choose to neglect quite often.  So I thought that I should pick up so my husband could mow our little lawn.  So as I'm picking up poopies I notice that there are lots of spiders in my grass.  I'm wearing flip flops, so I abandon my resolve to finish that project and start heading inside.  Because I'm now painfully aware of the creepy crawly problem we seem to be having, I notice the huge row of nice sized webs all along the back of my house.  Sick?  Grotesque?  Terrifying?  Yes, to all of the above.  And, just to get a little bit better, the biggest one against the house was a huge funnel web.  I high-tailed it inside to research funnel web spiders online.  I thought about taking a picture of the funnel web for all of you so you could share in my dismay, but that would have required me to go back out there.  Not happening.  FYI-funnel web spiders can be venomous.  Some are, some aren't.  I wasn't going to dig the spider out of that huge web to find out which of those options I was dealing with.  

Props to my next door neighbor who used to do pest control in Georgia.  He came over within two hours of my terrifying encounter to hose the place down with his "special stuff" (thanks Natalie for sending him over . . . it's her husband)  I don't care what it is, as long as it works.  LUCKY ME!!!!!!!  He was funny about the huge web.  He just said "Ya . . . the spider in that web was pretty big.  But it's dead now."  I don't love spiders, but I didn't consider myself an arachnophobic until now.  I hate spiders.  They leave me with a creepy crawly itchy gross feeling that I would like not to ever feel again.  Thank you, Jonathan, for helping me sleep better at night.  And I've never been happy to see dead spider carcasses in my backyard, until now.   If they are dead, that means they are no longer stalking me and my family :)

Tyler took today off and completely cleaned out the backyard.  He's so great, he even cleaned off our hard water coated windows.  I can now go back out into the backyard without having a psychotic breakdown over my imagined horse-sized spiders eating me whole.  Sorry for the visual.  Now you know what I do to myself :)

5 comments:

Shayleen Lunt said...

I'm opposite Natalie...I try to leave those webs after learning that if I do, I'll have few bugs around home. Which means less bugs inside...where I LIVE. I swear that since I haven't knocked down a single web this summer...we really have had less bugs inside. I've seen some big ones too...I love them...they eat more bugs ;)
Glad you can sleep at night though...that is what counts most!

Alicia Atwater said...

I am fine with spiders outside...but no living creature besides Me, Jon, kids and Buddy are allowed in the house. Spiders gross me out!

Emily said...

You are hilarious. And big thanks for giving me the creepy crawly heebee jeebees.

Darren Johnson Family said...

Thanks so much for freaking me out. We have atleast 6 of these stinking tunnel spiders in my house every day. I kill atleast 3 every morning in the bathroom when I get up. I'm really getting the shivers now. I hate spiders and now we're starting to get these freaky black ones with huge butts. Luckily they're spraying for spiders this week. Wahoo!

Angie said...

That picture looks familiar! The first apartment Brett and I lived in didn't have screens in the windows (our landlady took them out to clean the windows and never put them back in, despite lots of begging), but we didn't have a/c, so we opened the windows at night anyway. I swear she had a spider ranch in her yard or something. We had the HUGEST spiders in our house all the time. We even had a couple of really big black widows. So I feel your pain!