I went to Walmart today. For the record, I hate going to Walmart. I hate shopping, grocery or other. I was happy to get my stuff and leave. As I was unloading my cart, I realized that I had left a cartridge of razors in the cart . . . unpaid for. Here's the dilemma. I think in this circumstance there are several parts of your brain that fire simultaneously.
They probably all say one of the following: 1. Woohoo, free stuff!! It is, after all, the cashiers job to make sure nothing is left in the cart. 2. I'll just take it and pay for it next time I come in (and let's be honest here, most of us feel too dumb the next time we are there to actually pay for something that we essentially stole). 3. Great, now I get to spend ten minutes going back in and explain that I wasn't trying to steal, but that now I'm back to pay for the item that was merely overlooked among the other things in my cart.
My question is why does it have to be a dilemma to me? Why can't my initial thought be "Oh, I'm so glad that I'm not in a hurry and have time to go back in and pay for this thing." But no, I'm a grump about it. So, I guess that goes on my list of personal "To Do's" to better myself. I have, after all, no one to blame in these situations but the one person that emptied the cart in the first place. Me.



5 comments:
i feel you on that one. i once forgot a 99 cent roll of tape. and once at smiths ONE i tell you ONE banana. I ended up just giving them back to the cart guy and leaving. i hate having to go back in and wait in line forever again...
I totally see the dilemma. Especially at Walmart. I HATE going to Walmart and especially with the kids. Oh and then having to wait in those always ridiculous lines, twice.
I hate Walmart too,except the one in Hurricane--it's really open (as in spacious) and never busy. Anywho, I accidentally walked out with sunglasses from Target a couple months ago. My first thought was, huh, the alarm didn't go off. Funny how our first instinct is to think "well, that was easy..." But my conscience got the best of me and I went back in and paid for them. Do I get a prize?
Ha! this totally cracked me up because it sounded JUST LIKE ME!! I have done this so many times it's not even funny. I bet a huge portion of 'stolen' items from stores are moms who don't realize what's in their cart. lol. i've been good every time... ;)
I would have totally busted you!!! ;)
Post a Comment