This post is about five days late . . . but I still wanted to put it up. Our anniversary was on the 18th, but this is our story . . .

Tyler moved into my ward (the Battlecreek 7th ward) when I was still in Primary. I know that because his mom, Debbie, was my primary teacher when I was a Merrie Miss (that's how long ago it was . . . I'm pretty sure Merrie Miss doesn't exist anymore). I think that I speak for Tyler and I in saying that we don't remember each other specifically in those days . . . just that each other were around :)
Tyler served a mission in upstate New York (Utica to be exact) and I served in Washington D.C. (the best mission in the world). At my farewell, his dad, Larry, said to Debbie that he thought I should marry Tyler. I was practically engaged, so the initial thought was dismissed. :) He got home about four months before me . . . so like June. He dated around a bit, but just couldn't find what he really wanted (ME!!). I got home from my mission that following October. Three days after I got home we had ward temple night. It was a little bit different from regular ward temple night in and that we met and our chapel before the session for a testimony kinda meeting. Because I had served at a Visitor's Center, they asked me to stand and bear my testimony about temples. I was more than happy to oblige! I have no recollection of what I said, but I DO remember seeing Tyler's beautiful smile a couple of rows back and thinking to myself "WOW. The Wilkins' kid got really cute while I was gone!!" After the meeting, I saw him out in the parking lot and he came over and gave me a hug and said "Wow, Natalie, it's been a long time." This may not seem significant to any of you, but to us, it was huge. This was the first time that we had ever spoken directly to each other :)
A few weeks went by and I stopped by Gene Harvey Chevrolet to see Larry about buying a car. I looked AWFUL because I was sick, but in desperate need of a car. When we pulled up, who would be organizing his brand new Toyota Chick Magnet Tacoma? Tyler. I tried to run past because I seriously looked hideous! He stopped me and we said a quick hello and I hightailed it as fast as I could inside. I told Larry what kind of car I wanted and he told me he had the perfect thing. As we were walking out to the back lot, my dear soon-to-be father-in-law threw his arm around me and began questioning me about the guy that was sitting with my family at my homecoming. I reported that we were mostly broken up and that I was "currently taking all applications." He took that almost literally and called Tyler as soon as I left his office (after buying the car he showed me). Tyler called me that night and asked me out. I said yes and we went to Comedy Sportz and ate at Macaroni Grill. It was so fun!
We went out a few more times that week . . . but after a week of Tyler, I knew I was hooked. It was a Sunday and we were walking around the Mt Timp Temple grounds and I thought for the first time that I would marry him. Later that week, in the chapel of the Provo Temple, I knew I would marry him. We went out the next night and after everyone else in our group had left, we "DTR-ed" and decided to get married. We just don't take things slowly, Tyler and I. This all happened in 14 days. We announced the next week at Thankgiving dinner to our families. And two months after that we were married . And the rest is history.
Tyler, I'm glad that I sucked you in long enough to make it forever . . . there's no one else for me. I love you! Happy (belated) Anniversary!!





4 comments:
Natalie - What a great story! I didn't know that it happened so fast. Aaron and I have caught slack for our short time frame...but, it was nothing like yours! When you know though, you just know! Happy Anniversary!
That is such a cute story. Glad you shared it. Happy Anniversary!
I love this story! It's especially fun because we were all around for all of this to happen and it was so unexpected. I'm so happy you guys are happy! :)
I remember all of that!! All those talks at EEI and trying to talk to each other about our relationships at the same time before Don or Matt caught us turned around talking!! It took you 14 days and it took me what... 7 mths. When you know, you know!! And look at us now. How fun!!
Post a Comment