I can't believe that it's already been thirty days! My Book of Mormon is officially over today and I can't hardly think about where the last month has gone! Anyway, I FINISHED!
The experience overall I think has changed my life. I think since my mission I've definitely had times where I've totally neglected the scriptures, but I'd say most of the time that I've been reading more than not. But I have missed the point, I'm realizing. It's not that I read (which I realize is good no matter what), but I've been lacking a quality read. It requires time that I've thought 'I just didn't have' which is a lie. I sure watch my favorite TV shows every week. I find time to read several books a month. I clean my house, play with my kids, talk on the phone FOREVER every day. I just haven't wanted to find an hour to study scriptures every day. Well, not even an hour. But still. I know now that I DO, in fact, have time. And I'm a better, more patient, more loving, kinder person because of it. I love the Book of Mormon. I can't wait to read the New Testament, which I haven't done straight through in years.
As I've thought about it, I think that this time through the Book of Mormon has meant more because I was so dedicated. It's easy to read on a mission where you have a schedule sitting in front of you that tells you what and how long to read. That time is yours to study and pretty much that's it. Here, though, it different. I have a lot of real life in my face at all times. There were plenty of nights that I was sitting down at 10:30 at night knowing that I would be reading until past 11 and my alarm would go off at 5:40 am. But I knew that I needed to read just for my satisfaction, and so I would. I decided, and so it felt different for me. I'm not explaining this well enough, but hopefully you are grasping what I'm trying to say.
So thanks to Pres. Bratt for challenging my ward to read. Even if I thought I couldn't or wouldn't do it, someone else had a different plan for me :) And I'm grateful, yet again, that I'm not REALLY in charge!!
Wednesday, March 30, 2011
It's been THIRTY days!
Posted by The Wacky Wilkins at 11:07 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
I commend you, friend.
OK Natalie, you have been my motivation this month. I really wanted to read the BOM before the babies came but it took me from Nov. to March to get to Omni but once I read your challenge I thought that I would challenge myself to get it completed before the end of March. I have today and tomorrow left and I'm going to do it!!!!! Every time I thought about quiting I would think of you and I knew you were doing it too so even though you read the whole thing in a month, now I will get my goal done with reading it before the babies are here!! Thank you for your example to me! I truly appreciate it! I too have found that I really do have time to read it. Yesterday I was home alone all day on bed rest and read 80 pages here and there throughout the day. Amazing! I'll never use that excuse again. There's always time for at least one chapter right? Congrats!!
Way to go!!! You have inspired me!
Totally impressed! Way to go!
Post a Comment