Saturday, May 8, 2010

5, 6, 7, 8

Back when I was pregnant and still teaching my cardio class I completely believed that about 9 weeks of recovery would give me plenty of time to get in teaching shape. Ha ha ... ha ha ha ha! The big joke is totally on me!!! This week I went back to my class. Really, I have missed it terribly, but wasn't physically prepared for the torture I would inflict on myself. I really worked out about 5 times, completely sporadically in the weeks I had to prepare. Let me tell you about my first class back on Tuesday night:

Arrive at class 15 minutes early (actually prepared!): 7:55. Begin warm-up: 8:10. Finish warm-up: 8:20 . Begin teaching. Start feeling pretty winded: 8:30. Drink break. Continue. Start feeling serious fatigue: 8:45, but MUST keep going like I'm totally fine as I have high school girls in my class that have WAY more energy than me. Skin my knee in my crappy attempts to keep going. Start seeing spots in my vision from fatigue: 8:50. Finally able to stop cardio portion to tone (thank heavens). Totally over estimate my skills in preparation for the class. One set through realize not even one of us could finish three sets of what I had planned on: 8:55. Finish two more sets at 1/2 the reps we started at and lay on the floor laughing at my pathetic try: 9:00. Finally, abs. Finish class: 9:05.

I kid you not, by the time I got home I had an actual migraine descending upon me. Ibeprofen and bed for me. It was soooooo sad. But let me just say: Although I could barely walk on Thursday, I made it through class #2 in great shape and am still able to sit here and type (which means I have full use of most my body). I guess the old saying "bounce right back" means that you have to work at it first then "bounce"? I'm still not sure about this one. All I know is that mentally it was time to start teaching again . . . physically . . . I'm working on it. Fake it till you make it (or pass out. Which ever comes first, I suppose!)

On a separate note we've had an interesting week here. All three kids have now had the stomach flu (Boston started last night). I hope that it's over. And even though Boston has had a rough week, he's still a happy little camper!





And Bailey has suddenly become camera shy. I'm not sure why, but she gets angry when I point the camera at her. I do think it's funny, so I still take the pics!!

2 comments:

Get N Together said...

Look at you already back in the saddle...good for you! I need to come to your class sometime. To bad you live so far away!

Shelly said...

Teaching. Aerobics. 9 weeks later.
ummm, yeah you are super woman~