Friday, January 22, 2010

When Karma Comes Back

Last weekend I had the chance (thanks to my amazing husband) to go away for a night with some friends. These are my dinner-once-a-month gal pals. As three of the four of us attending are pregnant, we thought that closer was better, and Utah air is amazing next to the nasty stagnant smoke filled casino air of Mesquite or Vegas. So off we ventured Saturday morning for a weekend of gluttonous eating, laughing to tears, and . . . relaxation? So we ate at Mimi's for brunch and headed off to Gateway to kill time before any matinee movies started. There is a store up at the Gateway called A Pea In the Pod. It's a maternity store. It's supposed to be "boutique-ish" but I thought it was a quadruple-the-price Motherhood that sold designer maternity jeans. Pretty much all the same style clothes, just triple the price. While we were there, one of the store clerks fell. I'm sorry, but as an avid watcher of AFV, I cannot help but laugh. This poor girl fell over nothing. Her shoes had no laces and she was pretty much just standing there talking and did this super slow, very dramatic fall to the floor. Crystal and I giggled and giggled in the corner of the store (don't worry, she wasn't hurt . . . just embarrassed) and I spent the rest of the afternoon in tears explaining (and demonstrating) how this girl just fell over.


We finished off the afternoon by seeing the movie Leap Year (I didn't enjoy it very much. I did burst out laughing at the most inopportune and serious time. I still snicker a little bit at the cheesy line, but my friends enjoyed the movie). After the movie it was off to check into our room for the night. We just hung around until the preggies all started to feel a little sick from lack of food and headed off to the Olive Garden. Perhaps this is the time that karma could come back for my making fun of the Pea-girl? I hope that if you are reading this, you know me well enough to be shaking your head, knowing it's how I act, and not actually thinking less of me! So we parked in the garage and waited FOREVER for the elevator to take us up to the restaurant. It finally made it and we clambered into the already over-full space. So the elevator doors finally open and I literally fall out of the stupid door. Not all the way to the ground, mind you, but in such a dramatic manner that no one noticed my friend next to me do the exact same thing. As my arms flail and I grab for the nearest person to stabilize me, I exclaim "Who puts a stair right outside an elevator?!" No one, I don't think. The elevator had just stopped about 8 inches above the floor and I fell out. Yep. It's my life. Really, I fully and completely believe that karma comes back to us all . . . just usually not the same night you send it out. Whatever. We had a hilarious dinner, only because we couldn't stop laughing at the fact that I'm an idiot. It's cool.

We bought loads of candy after a big dinner that sat in the hotel room all night untouched (aside from the Lifesaver breath mints we all ate), and played a super long game of Phase 10 (we played for Sara, really, and she's . . . strict . . . about rules. Perhaps you could say Hitleresque) until after midnight. You'd think at this point we'd call it a night with no kids to wake us up. Nope. I finally sacked about about two and who knows when everyone else called it an evening. The next morning when we finally all got up and moving we made it to a pancake house. Gross. I can't even remember what it was called, but it wasn't good. And is it just me, or is there a standard restaurant dress code in Salt Lake Valley that REQUIRES girls to wear shorts or skirts that are completely covered by their super small apron? Just something I noticed. We then went off for pedicures, which were heavenly. We needed heavenly after that breakfast and my night of making a fool of myself. And eventually we made it home. Oh, we stopped at this pub called The Porcupine for lunch. They actually have a dessert called The Porcupine that looks like a porcupine. It was so cute . . . and delish!!! The gals doing our pedi's kept talking about whether or not they brew their own beer . . . and we kept reminding them that we were three little Mormon girls who were pregnant. They thought we were a little funny (I really don't mean funny, ha ha, either!) Too bad I didn't take pics before we ate the poor little guy.

Well, exhausted and broke, we made it home. The girls would like to make this a yearly outing, but I was hoping for once every five years. With our habits of child-producing (out of our little group of five, we were just informed that one more of us is expecting!!), we'll be lucky to go again in the next decade :) So worth it . . . even if karma took a big bite out of my bum!!

5 comments:

Amy J said...

I love it! I am so glad I'm not the only one karma gets every time. Lol. What a fun night. Every year would be good for you.

Tina said...

Oh that sounds devine!! I wish I could have come but I guess I'm shunned from the group since I'm NOT pregnant. I need to do something like that. Hmmmm...
You're getting close. How fun to almost have your little man in your arms. Can't wait to see and hear everything!!

Anonymous said...

hilarious! glad you had fun

Darren Johnson said...

hahahahahahahaha, I can actually see you doing that! I can see your face too!

Cambric said...

lol the story is just as fun being read as it is being told from your very mouth! fun times!!! hope ur lil one lays off the kicking of your ribs as you get ready for his arrival! <3